Friday, September 26, 2008

What a day

Today I had a closure ceremony for one of my programs called, Tiempo de Oro- The Golden Years. It is a prevention and treatment program for older adults experiencing depression and isolation. It has been a federally funded research program for six years now. The funded ended this year as it was only a research grant. We have been in a total of six communities and served hundreds of older adults. It really has been my favorite program thus far that I have ever worked with. While we have received funding for the program in a new community we had to say good bye to these six communities.
The event was not planned as it should have been as I have been overwhelmed with other projects like a national training conference I facilitated and hosted last week but never the less it was a beautiful day. So the sound didn't work and the video stopped midway and of course our timing was all wrong. So the entertainment was not there on time. Oh, and of course everyone showed up a half an hour early which meant we couldn't complete our practice run thru of the event. But what a day it was!
My most favorite part was the fact that Stefani was there to join in the day's festivities. She helped so much from running and getting us breakfast to handling the lights. She was an awesome help! My second favorite part was seeing all the seniors that could still get up and walk (and some that couldn't) get up and dance throughout the room while the Mariachi played. They sang off tune and danced as much as there legs would allow and it brought tears to my eyes.
The reason I love this program is described in it's name, The Golden Years. Many people look to older age with fear and trepidation but what I have learned is that souls are like Gold, there value only grows with age. Our older adult years are to be met with joy, as we carry the wisdom of all our past years with us. It is our time to pass our memories and wisdom to those around us, our children, grandchildren and even young social workers like myself.
The women and men that I have worked with in this program hug and kiss me like a daughter. They always wear there Sunday best while while sharing there stories of yesterday. Most of our seniors are former field workers who marched with Cesar Chavez. There hands are weathered as are their faces from being in the sun for so many years. Their souls are also weathered. Our seniors, first generation immigrants, have long since been forgotten by there families. I know this sounds harsh but the gap that grows between generations as culture is lost and not passed down can be immense. The Golden Years program has one rule, You Are Family. The reason for this being for many of our seniors this is the only family they have left. The mailman is their son, the checkout lady at the grocery store there daughter, their neighbor, there sister and there comadre their mother.
I was blessed in many ways to be part of this family and it has encouraged me to not fear aging and welcome my wrinkles as symbols of wisdom. I have watched them face illness, death, loneliness and depression with courage and faith. Faith you might ask? Yes, since it is a culturally adaptive program it was founded on the principles of spirituality and God. All of the counselors are believers and use faith as the healing tool. I guess you might say we fooled the government, I like to believe that maybe they got it right this time.

Our day opened today with a prayer amongst the staff . So while I was stressing out and running around like a mad woman, being stern with my staff (as Stefi called it) I knew God was present. The very fact that I was able to stand in front of 150 people and speak was a miracle. And while Tiempo de Oro may be the only family for many of our seniors I was able to look over and see my family, Stefi, supporting me every step of the way!

What a day!

No comments: