Thursday, November 6, 2008

Good News

So, after all my moaning and groaning about the house we finally did something about it! We had a haloween party for some of our dear friends and decided it was time to do our fall cleaning. Because I started yet another round of layoffs with my staff I needed some therapeutic cleaning to keep myself busy and out of my own worrisome thoughts! The Monday before haloween I decided to take every single item out of every single closet (including the bedroom) and lay it out in our entry hallway. I figured if I had to stare at all of it I would figure out what I really wanted to keep and what I didn't and it worked! It took a little longer than I thought but by Thursday night I had thrown out/donated over 8 black plastic trash bags of good out. It was beautiful. Our closet is finally organized and we even made it down to Ikea to purchase a dresser and shoe racks. Our entry way closet it dedicated only to our cleaning goods and the overflow of Rob's studio. Oh that was another huge major task- Rob's studio. Wednesday night Rob emptied the studio onto the leftover floor space and we spent several hours building a very large red cabinet to house all of the loose ends in the Studio. And what inspired all this? The bedroom and living room. The bedroom was filled with living room furniture (TV, book shelves, etc) and because of the comfort of our living room (or the lack there of) we haven't spent more than 15 minutes in it since we moved in. So the great move happened. We now have a beautiful, clutter free bedroom with a reading corner made just for me. Our living room is now open and inviting to have people over and just chat. 15 people were here last Friday and there was enough comfortable seating for all that encouraged discussion and fellowship. Oh it is great!

The icing on the cake was the washing off all the windows and de-cobwebing the outside patio. I even managed to get some gloves on and kill the black widows much to my husband's despair who prefers to capture them and set them free in the wild. Too much work if you ask me...
So the baseboards didn't get done but the dusting did and the moping of the floors with some much needed bleach. The counters received tender polishing and CLR is now my favorite new cleaning product in the bathrooms. By Friday morning only hours away from the party I was still cleaning but feeling a great sense of accomplishment.

So needless to say I nested this weekend and it feels like a new home, except better...organized, inviting and ours. Oh, And before I forget the best part we took the time to hang all our paintings and pictures. We still don't have any pictures of us up in the house but nevertheless we have a basquiat in the hallway, some of Rob's own in the living room, picasso in the bedroom and some vintage french adds in the bathrooms.

I feel blessed with a home filled with love and made with love! And so all may know, Rob helped me every step of the way. It was a true partnership. What more could a girl ask for!

Cara

No comments: